Saturday, January 21, 2012

Football Fall 2011

Blogging took a very, very far back seat the past several months.  Time has become a very precious item for me and getting the basics done became more important that anything else.  However, in the future I would be very sad if I didn't record some of our exciting times.  So hang on tight for a recap of fall...

We spent many many hours with these people...

Doing this...

And this...

And some of this...

Tyler worked hard during the summer and given the opportunity to play varsity football for Sky View this past fall.  Due to some poor choices by one of the senior lineman, Tyler was able to start on the defensive line againist Northridge on August 19, 2011. 



As a mom, I was so nervous, excited, worried, happy, sick to my stomach, excited, worried, happy, sick to my stomach that whole day.  It was my 41st birthday, but I wanted it to be a special day for Tyler.  I will always have another birthday but Tyler won't ever start his very first varsity game again.  Yes, he did start other games but not the very first one. 

Todd and I talked a lot the weeks leading up to this game and as we could see what was happening.  We wondered how did our 14 year old (who was playing little league the fall before) end up on the starting defensive line.  I worried every game as he lined up againist some big kids that he would get hurt or worried if he could hold his own but every week Tyler got better and stronger.  Tyler has a strong love and desire for football.  

I also was concerned about how the upper classmen would accept Tyler but he was accepted openly and developed some strong friendship bonds during the season.   I was concerned about a 14 year old hanging out with 18 year old seniors.  I think often times because of Tyler's size we all forget his is only 14 years old.  One day after varsity practice and basketball camp, he wanted to go back to Sky View to practice football with the freshman.  I asked him why and his response was "That's where my friends are."  It was a good reminder for me that mentally he is still 14 - even though he's 6'3" tall and 260 pounds.

One experience I don't ever want to forget happened at Box Elder during a JV game.  There was just a few minutes left in the game and Casey Shaw, a sophomore who played the D line also, got hurt.  After the coaches assessed the situation, they decided to call for an ambulance.  The coach came over to the sideline and was telling the team what was happening.  The next thing I remember seeing was the entire JV team on their knees praying for their teammate.  For me, that was a very touching sight to see.  I remember being so grateful for the young man who had the courage to stand up in front of his football buddies and acknowledge our Heavenly Father's power and suggest they pray.  I was grateful that Tyler was part of that experience and I hope he will also remember the powerful message that it sent to those of us in the stands.

During football season, we played JV on Thursday afternoons and Varsity on Friday nights.  On a few rare occassions, Tyler was asked to play with the Freshman on Wednesday afternoons.  I didn't know how he would ever have enough strength and energy to play 3 games a week.  I also worried that when he played the freshman game, he was taking some young man's spot who had practiced long and hard for that game.  Tyler had 2 other games he could play that week, but the boys who's spot he took at the Freshman game didn't have any other games to play.  After explaining that to Tyler, he understood and didn't play too many more Freshman games. 

Looking back on football season, it was fabulous!  It was busy and we lived on the road and ate out way too much but we have some great memories of Sky View Football 2011.

Looking forward to Sky View Football 2012!

 

1 comment:

Justin said...

Kara that is a great post. It is so fun to hear about Tyler and his football season. Your story about them praying choked me up, how neat. I just can't believe how grown up your boys are.