Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thankful Thursday

I've thought alot about gratitude lately and realized that, sadly, I don't acknowledge my blessings enough. I truly am blessed and need thank my Heavenly Father for those blessing. I decided to start Thankful Thursday's were I can list 5 things each week that I'm grateful for.

I found the following quote on lds.org this morning while thinking about my blessings today:


The Lord has promised, "He who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious" (D&C 78:19). Gratitude is an uplifting, exalting attitude. People are generally happier when they have gratitude in their hearts. We cannot be bitter, resentful, or mean-spirited when we are grateful. We should be thankful for the wonderful blessings that are ours and for the tremendous opportunities we have. We can be thankful to our parents, family, friends, and teachers. We should express appreciation to everyone who has assisted us in any way.
We should thank our
Heavenly Father for His goodness to us by acknowledging His hand in all things, thanking Him for all that He gives us, keeping His commandments, and serving others. We should especially thank Him for His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, for the Savior's great example, for His teachings, for His outreaching hand to lift and help, for His infinite Atonement.


My thankful list today includes:

1. Great friends - I spent some time yesterday with Maureen, who was one of my college roommates 20 plus years ago (WOW -I'm getting old!). When I first met Maureen, she was this tiny, cute, little thing from Twin Falls, Idaho. She was a academic brain, a cheerleader, and just really cute! I really wondered what, if anything, we had in common because from the outside appearances we had nothing in common. Quickly, I found out what a sweetheart she was and we really did have more in common than meets the eye. We've remained good friends and now have boys that same age, involved in many of the same activities, our husbands have some of the same interests and we all LOVE Aggie Basketball. Being with Maureen always lifts my spirits. We have a lot of great laughs together and understand each other. I so appreciate her friendship and the time we get to spend together.

2. The ability to pay our bills. I know that sounds crazy and actually it is a job that I really dislike doing but at least I can pay our bills.

3. The forgiving nature of boys. Yesterday afternoon, things didn't pan out exactly how Kody wanted them too and he was very upset and took most of those frustrations out on me -- although I had nothing to do with the problem. By night, he was back to his loving self and told me he loved me.

4. Animals. I've never considered myself an animal lover but our dogs Trixy and Dexter have really gotten to me lately. I so enjoy that they are always excited to see you. I enjoy watching Trixy play in the backyard. She really can put a smile on my face while I'm cooking dinner.

5. A wonderful place to come home to each afternoon. I enjoy my house and trying to make it a home for my family.

What's on your Thankful Thursday list?

3 comments:

Amelia said...

You are so good to remember and remind others of the important things. I too have been feeling grateful lately. I'm thankful for the sunshine, blue skies, a warm bed with cozy quilts, and chocolate!

Justin said...

I love the quote and all that you listed. I think I will incorporate Thankful Thursday in weekly routine.

The Porter's said...

That's a great idea. I think I'm going to have to try it out. Thanks for the idea.