Thursday, June 3, 2010

In a Funk!

BEWARE...REALLY LONG POST AND MOSTLY MORE FOR ME THAN ANYONE BUT THANKS FOR READING ABOUT OUR FAMILY!

I have been so neglectful of my blog for the past few months. I've found myself really kinda in a funk -- please tell me I'm not the only one who goes through this. Nothing serious just in a funk.

The boys finished the school year with a lot of fun activities that created many fun memories for them. Tyler brought home his report card that had the entire school year on it. It was awesome to see all the quarters listed together and then see that 3 of the 4 quarters he had 4.0's and the 1st quarter he had a 3.92, that darn A- in Utah History. I was really proud of him. I never have to beg, plead, hound, or even ask him to do his homework. Tyler takes great pride in his school work and is just like I was - if the assignment is due on Friday, he will have it done by Wednesday. Tyler is a very social person and can make friends with anybody anywhere but he still gets good grades and cares about school. When I go to parent teacher conferences, I get alot of "Tyler a good student, he just talks alot. He needs to work on not talking." I understand where the teacher is coming from but I'm not overly concerned about Tyler's socializing if he still is an A student.

Kody will be going into 5th grade! I remember my 5th grade like it was just a few years ago. How can my baby be going into 5th grade? Kody had some fun experiences in 4th grade. He was on the Youth 2000 committee at Summit. This is alot like student council. He was able to
develop his self-esteem and his leadership skills. Kody just likes to do what's right, be a friend to someone who needs a friend, he tries so hard in school, and he too just does his school work. Kody improved so much in math this year! I'm really really proud of him. Math doesn't come naturally to Kody and he worked hard to overcome some of the challenges of math.

Our June is chuck full of basketball camps, golf camps, State Trek, Scout camp, and more basketball camps. Our car will not be idle much nor will the boys bikes. It's much easier on my work schedule now that the boys are old enough to ride their bikes to a few of their activities. The boys aren't too sure they like having to ride their bikes but they always do! I'm so thankful for their willingness to help get themselves to their own activities.

I think one of the reasons I've been kinda down on myself lately is I'm the type of person who really likes to accomplish things -- cross things off of a list kinda gal. (Yes, I've been known to write things on a list just so I can cross it off!) Help me!

Unfortunately, I tend to judge myself by what I get accomplished. I like projects and I like to see a project completed. I got in a really bad habit of spending my first few moments each morning surfing craft blogs and seeing all that everyone in blogland has accomplished. I would think oh that's a great idea - it's going on my craft blog for a "to do sometime" project. Well the to do sometime project list was getting longer and longer and I wasn't getting any of those to do's done! It was extremely frustrating to me. I also like a clean and orderly house so I was always cleaning something up or out. Having regular agreuments with the boys over what my idea of clean is and what their idea of clean is. I also realized that my material to do list was a heck of alot longer than my spiritual to do list. I wasn't really feeling the Spirit as often as I'd like and I just needed to make some changes in my life.

One of my favorite scriptures has always been in Ecclesiastes Chapter 3. "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." The chapter goes on and talks about the seasons of life. I spent several days reflecting on what season am I in right now. What season should I be in? What season have I put myself in that I can change? What season are my boys in? What season is my marriage in? What season am I in the gospel? What season am I in with my family members? etc.

After much thought and prayer, I realized I need to accept season I'm in and enjoy it! I'm in the season of being a mother to two young and awesome boys who need me to support them and their activities. They don't need a mom who is more worried about getting the list done, or making the latest craft in blogland. I'm in the season of being able to serve others. I need to worry more about feeling the Holy Ghost and listening and acting on his promptings then I need to worry about if I get 3 loads of laundry done everyday. I am in the season of making the most of my scripture study not just reading one chapter so I cross it off the list. I am in the season of making my marriage a priority and not just hoping for a date every few months but making the date happen.

Boy, I've said alot but I gave you fair warning at the beginning of the entry! I wrote these thoughts down more for me than you so I can reread them when my season's get mixed up and remind myself what season I truly am in in 2010. I know that my season's are going to change as the years go by but right now in 2010 these are seasons that I need to be in.

3 comments:

Shalise said...

I know we've talked about it before, but I agree with your thoughts. I've wasted so much time surfing blogs and feeling like I don't accomplish anything when I look at what others are doing. If I would spend that same amount of time with my family, I wouldn't feel so guilty...thus the reason my blog has also been on the back burner. I don't know about you, but I will still probably write a "To Do" list; not to cross things off, but so I don't forget what it is I need to get done!

Amelia said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Blogland is such a fun, but "dangerous" place. A lot of it puts a serious dent in my self confidence, they all portray this amazing "I can do it all" image and I'm just struggling to make 3 meals a day! Thanks for keeping it real.

Justin said...

I am glad to know I am not the only one that gets in a funk. And I am like you, I judge myself by what I get accomplished, and some days it isn't all that much so you can imagine what I am thinking. You are awesome. You should never feel bad. You are one of the greatest people I know.