Saturday, July 23, 2011

8 days + 2 awesome sons + a few extra boys = 31 games of basketball watched

We spend most of June watching and playing basketball - does that surprise any of you? 

June 9-11 USU Basketball Camp for Tyler

June 13-17 UVU Basketball Camp for Tyler

June 13-15 Utah Summer Games for Kody

June 24-25 Sky View Team Camp for Tyler

We all watched Tyler, Braxton and Hayden play at USU for 3 days then spent Saturday night washing uniforms, basketball shorts, tshirts, and socks and packed it all in suitcases and Kody and I  headed south Sunday afternoon for the Utah Summer Games, Tyler left early Monday morning for Provo, and Todd stayed home to work and keep things in line at home. 

Kody and I had a great time in Cedar City - I hated not being together as a family but Kody and I had fun together and with his team.  Kody's team struggled Monday and Tuesday ending up 0-4.   In their division there were 2 superior teams and 3 so-so teams.  The way the bracket was set up, Kody's team should have been done playing on Tuesday night so we were headed to Provo Wednesday morning to watch Tyler for the rest of the week.  Scott and Bo were looking at the bracket and decided to purpose a new bracket set-up to the Summer Games committee.  It was obvious who would end up in the gold/silver game, so let them play their game and then let the other 3 teams have their own little playoff for the bronze medal.  Well of course that was great with the other two teams -- they just cleaned our clock and it gave each of them one more game -- so why not? 

Look who came home with the Bronze?



We played the first game at 3:30 Wednesday afternoon, given our previous 2 days record I thought we'll be on the road to Provo by 5:00 and that should put us there by 7:30 or so.  Nope, we won the 3:30 game so we now play at 6:30,  again I should be able to hit the road by 8 and arrive in Provo at 10:30.  We won the 6:30 game and headed over for the medal ceremony.  I was really happy for these boys.  They worked hard and forgot the past and played great ball!  We were ready to head to Provo at 9:00pm.  For some of you this wouldn't be a problem, for Kara this was a real problem!  I'm usually getting ready to go to bed at 9:00 not drive in the dark for 2 1/2 hours!

Those of us who were heading north (a few smarter parents booked an extra night in Cedar City -- note to self for next year -- book an extra night in Cedar City!) we caravaned together planning to stop in Nephi to grab a bite to eat.  Being the only driver in my car, I was nervous.  Thankfully, we have the power of prayer to call upon when needed.  I prayed that I would be alert and be able to stay awake and arrive safely in Provo.  Plans changed at we ended up stopping in Fillmore for about 45 minutes at 10:30 for dinner at the Burger King.  Heavenly Father did bless Kody and I, when we arrived in our hotel room in Provo the clock said 12:48am, but I was still very awake (without any caffeine!).  I know we were watched over, protected and blessed traveling that night.

But of course, I get a text from Tyler saying he has an 8:00AM game!  Since we didn't get to Provo in time to watch his games on Wednesday there was no way I could miss the early game -- so Kody and I climbed out of bed and headed over to UVU for a full day of basketball games played by Tyler, Braxton, and Hayden.


I will not lie, by this time in the week my rear end was tired and hurt from sitting on bleachers - the things we do for our kids!  Love 'em!  Tyler and his team played really well - they are such an awesome group of kids.  It's been so fun to watch them develop individually and as a team over the past couple of years.

The best part of the UVU camp was both Sky View Freshman teams played so well they ended up in the championship game, playing each other!  (This is actually the second year in a row this has happened!)  Tyler's team ended up winning the championship game but not without a good fight from the other SV team.  UVU gave the winning team from each age bracket a $10 iTunes gift card -- couldn't have given Tyler anything better!

We all were reunited Friday afternoon at home!  I was really glad to see Todd.  That was the longest time we had ever been apart in our marriage and I was ready to see my husband and to talk to him face to face -- cellphones are great but it was so nice to give him a BIG hug and a kiss!

(P.S. If you are still reading this post, you are either crazy or very dedicated!) 

No comments: